Look, we know how it is, we all do it. Every year, leading up to Christmas, we start thinking about the things we could have done better in the year. You know, the New Year’s resolutions we made at the beginning of the year that we didn’t even start. Maybe you could have done a couple of things differently but don’t let what you didn’t do bring you down. Everyone is doing their very best, including you and we believe that you shouldn’t put too much pressure on yourself to achieve these so-called New Year’s resolutions.
While it’s beneficial to reflect on what to improve on, it is equally important to celebrate what you have achieved this year, no matter how big or small it was. For your 2020 goal setting, be gentle with yourself and don’t set expectations very high. It’s good to have a clear vision of what you want but be open to tweaks and changes here and there. Besides, life is more exciting when you go with the flow. Make sure you do your reflections and goal setting before the end of the year. So grab that pen and paper and take note of these New Year’s resolution tips.
How to reflect on 2019
First, think about the things you are most proud of, the things you achieved, things you would like to celebrate. Now is not the time for imposter syndrome. You deserve to celebrate so pop that champagne!
- What are the 3 things you achieved this year you are most proud of?
- Who are 3 people you want to thank this year and why?
- What are 3 of the best memories you have from this year?
- Is there something new you started this year?
- What is something you finished this year?
- In 3 words, describe the year 2019.
- What are the 3 things you learned from this past year?
- What are the 3 things this year you are the most grateful for?
Secondly, think about some things you would like to do better or differently next year. Remember don’t be too hard on yourself. There’s always room to grow and learn something new but being honest with yourself is the first step to creating achievable goals for 2020.
- What is something you said you would do in 2019 but didn’t do? What’s the reason you didn’t do it?
- Is there anything you could you have done better this year?
- What do you want to stop doing in 2020?
How to set goals for 2020
Now that you have celebrated your wins and pinpointed what you want to stop and do better in the year ahead, it’s time to set some realistic goals. Ask yourself the following questions and don’t forget to write them down.
- Picture your ideal day. How do you feel and what do you do?
- What is one thing you want to do to improve your health?
- What’s something you can do to make your relationships better?
- What is one thing you want to do to improve your finances?
- What are 3 career goals you want to focus on?
- Is there anywhere you would like to travel to this year?
- What are 3 self-care things you are going to commit to?
- Think about the end of 2020, what are the 3 things you would like to celebrate?
- What are 3 personal goals you want to focus on?
- In 3 words, describe how you want 2020 to feel?
- What are 3 totally new things you want to try?
Please don’t get intimidated by your list. Remember it’s not set in stone and go into the year being more open-minded. Just think about your 2020 goals as a guide. Something you can look back on throughout the year to keep track of your progress. You’ve already made an amazing step by reflecting and writing down your goals. You go, girl! We know you can do this. You are so ready to go into the New Year!
Words by Tamara Bose