If you haven’t already noticed, your wardrobe is about to take a walk on the wild side. For years I’ve been wearing animal prints when I dare, but now they’re back in the mainstream style set with a vengeance, and I am frothing.
I know that the animal print trend can be a wee bit daunting for some, so I’ve asked around the office (sometimes it’s useful to work with such a brimming brigade of fashionistas) and popped the best tips and tricks below.
ANIMAL PRINT TREND | TIPS & TRICKS
If you’re an animal print beginner…
- If you’re nervous about wearing animal prints, start small with accessories.
- Animal-print shoes are the easiest route in. The perfect way to make even the most boring outfit sing.
- Jazz up a plain black slip dress by belting it with something a touch more animalistic than leather.
- Zebra print is a low-key version of animal prints, thanks to its monochrome tones, so dip your toes into the trend with this option.
- Knowing how to wear animal prints comes down to one simple rule – treat it like any black clothing item. Yes, this might seem counterintuitive and weird AF, but adding a little hint of animal to any outfit upgrades and harmonises your look.
If you’re more intermediate with your sartorial decisions…
Try an animal print dress! Whether you prefer midi styles;
Or showing more leg in a mini;
Slip dresses are already effortlessly trendy, so add a hit of animal print and you’ve got yourself a winner.
- Animal prints are wild and busy, so stick to styles with clean lines if you want to look elegant and not trashy.
- Steer clear of animal print clothing that is fussy, frilly, or sparkly etc Opt for styles and fabrics that are sleek like the animal itself.
- Mostly (not always) wear heels when wearing an animal print, it keeps the look chic.
For all the fashionistas or risk-takers in the *house…
*…(by ‘house’, I clearly mean peeps reading this article)
- Leopard print looks INSANE with more leopard print. Embrace the extra-ness and accessorise your outfit with gold jewellery.
- For maximum impact, opt for bright punchy prints and dare to wear animal prints from head to toe.
- Mix and match – the most modern way to wear animal prints is to clash them.
- For the ultimate ‘insta uniform’, pair a leopard print slip skirt with a white tee and boots.
- Never forget that leopard print looks incredible with denim. Leopard print additions take a classic white tee and blue jeans to a whole new level.
- Treat animal prints as your new neutrals by adding them to your everyday outfits alongside colour-blocking sweaters and classic trench coats.
- Steer clear of heavy fabrics like wool or cheap polyesters and opt for silks or light cottons; both of which will ensure the patterns look current (not like you’ve jumped out of a bad 80s movie).
- Opt for cuts that are in line with trending styles to ensure the piece says fresh.