Don’t you feel like sometimes (all the time) there are just not enough hours in the day to do everything you want? Do you feel like you’re in overdrive, always on the go and when you finally do have some time for yourself, you get a little anxious trying to figure out how to make your free time as productive as possible? Well, coming from a Type A, driven person, slowing down is sometimes hard for me. When I do have free time, I love my me-time but I have trouble being present and really enjoying it because my mind thinks about all the things I have to get done. This train of thought will make you really overwhelmed, trust me! This is why you need a day where you can just relax. Enter Self Care Sundays! A compulsory day of the week where you have the freedom to do whatever you want, guilt-free!
Ok, so how can you master Self-Care Sundays? The first step is to forget about your to-do lists. I know this can be really hard but just know that whatever you need to do can wait for the moment. You will get it done eventually. It’s a Sunday, do you really think that email you think you need to send now will be read today? The second step is to think about the things you can do to make yourself feel great and re-energised for the week ahead. The third step is to pick something and really enjoy it! Be as present as possible because life is too short to be worried and stressed all the time.
To help you out, here are a few things you can do during Self-Care Sunday that will make you feel so much better about yourself and help to give you the clarity you need to make smart decisions for the coming week.
- Walk barefoot along the beach
- Go to the park and read a good book or listen to some podcasts
- Go to your favourite cafe by yourself or with a friend (Sunday brunch is always a good idea!)
- Have a picnic with your mates or invite them over for some tea
- Go to a yoga class or take a class online in the comfort of your own home
- Watch the latest flix at the cinema with your bf/gf or by yourself (it’s definitely not lame to go to the movies alone)
- Dive under a wave and after soak up the sun rays
- Netflix and chill…both types
- Cook and/or bake (do you have cut out recipes lying around that you say you’ll try out one day? Actually do some of them)
- Run yourself a bath
- Create a chillax Spotify playlist and listen to it
- Sit on the couch and watch a movie or documentary
- Go to the markets (there’s plenty around on a Sunday)
- Journal in the park
- Paint or draw
- Book yourself a massage or facial, you deserve it!
- Take a nap and don’t feel guilty about it
- Get a mani-pedi with your bestie or mum
- Blast some music and dance around the house like crazy
- Visit a gallery or museum
- Plan your dream overseas holiday
- Go for a walk in nature (leave your phone at home if you can)
- Do something you have never done before like a pottery or art class
- Go to bed at 9pm and read a book, no technology!
Don’t look for an excuse and look after yourself! Try and do at least one of these things on the list every Sunday and do more if you want to. Your body will thank you!
Words by Tamara Bose.